Sunday, August 7, 2011

Watson Lake and Fort Nelson, YT, July 28-30, 2011


Left Whitehorse early in the morning after going by the dump station. There were all kinds of rv’s coming and going from the campground…some going out and some headed towards Alaska and elsewhere in Canada. I wish we had time to meet more people and spend some time getting to know them. Had much the same kinds of roads on the way to Watson Lake. Didn't see much in the way of wildlife on the roads. It was raining when we arrived at Watson Lake. Our campground is behind the local fuel station and convenience store. We're just happy we found a place and it even had hookups. There is not much there but the famous Sign Post Forest. Story goes that a soldier was homesick so he wrote his hometown on a board and nailed it up on a stake. You can see where this has gone. We looked all through the signs and found some we can relate to...one was even from my hometown, Palestine, TX.

We left the next morning expecting to stop at Muncho Lake but decided to on to Fort Nelson. This had to be the most eventful drive so far. We saw more wildlife on this trip that any other drive. It all began with some horses right on the sides of the highway then we saw a black bear on the side of the road. We had seen warnings about bison and then we saw why. We came across lots of bison right on the sides of the road. Traffic was stopped on both sides for people to take pics. There were so many everywhere. We also saw other black bears as well as a grizzly bear just beside the road. Luckily it was on my side so I could take some pics from the rig. Some people got out of their cars. I was happy with my viewpoint inside the motorhome. We also came across some stone sheep and lots of them right on the road. I couldn’t believe how many different things we saw. I was clicking my camera all the time. I hated to go to the bathroom afraid I might miss something!
We got to Fort Nelson and camped in Triple “G” Campground. When we arrived I went into the office and the lady already had a check in slip completed for me…I guess everyone comes for only one night. She was very nice and had a young man lead us to our pull-through site. We didn’t even need to unhook. It was a nice campground. It was such a long drive we just relaxed for the evening and worked on our plans for the coming days and did some laundry. Went to bed early so we can get a good start in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment